Rory is a student of Arabic Language & Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Leeds, with a research focus on Cultural Policy in the MENA region. He is an advocate for increased institutional support for cultural exchanges across the EU, wider Europe and Mediterranean region; working with policymakers and civil society leaders from across the EU-Med region as part of an initiative with the European Commission (EEAS), Anna Lindh Foundation, World Bank & British Council.
Rory was introduced to the intercultural exchanges of Opera Circus in May 2012, attending a workshop on democracy as part of the Wake Up! initiative. Since then, he has participated in and arranged accreditation for participants of Like A Film In My Mind and TCFT through the Erasmus+'s (previously Youth in Action) Youth Pass. Before this Rory co-founded and coordinated an cultural exchange between The Thomas Hardye School (UK) and The Doon School (India) as part of a British Council/BBC project celebrating the London 2012 Olympic Games.
He has represented the UK at the Euro-Arab Youth Forum in Doha, Qatar (2013), Strasbourg, France (2015) and Fez, Morocco (2017) as well as a number of European Students' Forum and Erasmus+ projects in Europe and North Africa. Ahead of the European Parliament Elections in 2014, he was the UK Ambassador to the European Youth Forum's League of Young Voters initiative - working alongside local and national media to raise awareness for the upcoming election.
A little summary
- Young Med Voices+ UK-EU Representative | European Commission, Anna Lindh Foundation, European Youth Forum (Belgium, 2017)
- New Narrative for Europe UK Representative | European Commission DG Education & Culture (Belgium, 2017)
- Euro-Arab Youth Forum UK Representative | Council of Europe & Arab League (Qatar, 2013 / France, 2015 / Morocco, 2017)
- Changing The Story Filmmaking Facilitator | University of Leeds & Bishop Simeon Trust (South Africa & UK, 2016)
- Leeds Undergraduate Research Event Marketing & Outreach Officer | University of Leeds (UK, 2016-2017)
- Human Rights Journal Marketing & Outreach Officer | University of Leeds (UK, 2015)
- Leeds University Union Halls Executive President (Leodis) | University of Leeds (UK 2014-15)
- European League of Young Voters Campaign Ambassador (UK) | European Youth Forum (UK, 2014)
- World Olympic Dreams Dorchester Area Schools Partnership Liaison & Project Coordinator | Thomas Hardye School, British Council, BBC Sport (India & UK, 2011-2013)